Weekend Project: Ping Pong Ball Pendant


A fun little project from Marie Claire Idées (May/June) using ping pong balls and spray paint to create a playful pendant light. (Cute, yes)?  From what I could decipher (thanks to my handy dandy translator), Here's a little how-to:




Spray balls in groups using a different color for each group (might be nice to do with an ombre effect too). They used 30 balls per group (6 rows) for a total of 180 balls for a 45 cm diameter shade. Drill a small hole with the needle into opposite ends of each ball.  Using nylon thread make garlands knotting one end first then pulling thread through each ball from one hole to the other (like beading) filling up the string until all balls are used to the diameter size of your frame; tie the wire up against the last ball. Tie the garland of balls around the lampshade structure, repeat next garland, and so on until the entire shade is covered.  Hang from a pendant string light such as an IKEA HEMMA cord set. Voila! Created by Léa Baert for Marie Claire Idées.

Jan Halvarson

14 comments:

Kreetta said...

Haha. That's funny! maybe golf balls next time :)

vaishnavi said...

Lovely Idea. M gonna try it soon Thank you so much for sharing it.

meg said...

Whats the best way to let them dry

The Misfit Mama said...

what do you use for the frame? I have a HEMMA cord but what is the actual wire frame? Just a regular dismantled shade?

Anonymous said...

love it! you did it really nice!!!

Sutty said...

Would like to know what frame you used too!! Please get back to us as I am so making this.

CLarin said...

I'd also love to know where you can get the lamp shade frame. I want to do this for my bonus room! Also, the HEMMA cord you mentioned has a plug...is there a cord that could plug into the ceiling to be used with a light switch? Thanks!

CLarin said...

I'd also like to know where to get the lamp shade frame mentioned. I'd like to make one of these for my kids playroom. Also, the HEMMA cord has a plug in; is there a cord for plugging into the actual wiring for a light switch? Thanks!

summerskandi said...

I bought a used fabric lamp shade from the thrift store and ripped off the fabric and just used the wire lamp shade. I need to buy a hanging light set but I might luck out and find something at the flea market or yard sales.

Joan said...

Hello this is such a great idea!
i just found your blog its too cool and full of creative ideas!
please answer me that,cause im seriously making this light thing!!
how do i connect the balls with the cord?

Lovingmyfamily Beeler-Letze said...

I love this idea! what a fun way to dress up a girls room!!

Beckie @ Infarrantly Creative said...

Very nice and cute idea! I love those color combinations! Thanks for sharing this lovely craft!:-)

ukgglisab said...

I so love those ping pong ball lampshades I think this could well be
My next rainy weekend project whoopee
Lisa from the uk

Unknown said...

Super cute! My daughter is 2½ and Im going to make one this weekend for her bed room!